Saturday, October 25, 2014

Natural Baby Teething Remedy

Nobody ever warned me about teething baby syndrome... It's pretty much a nightmare.  The array of symptoms are endless.  You know how you go on WebMD and immediately have cancer... well there is a baby teething version of that too... Baby pulls on ears, baby has mucusy diarrhea, baby has a mild fever, rosy cheeks, fussiness, pretty much anything under the sun and you constantly wonder if you need to take your baby in or if they are just teething.  I was lucky... my baby started teething at 8 weeks.  Yep, we were just getting used to no sleep figuring out ways to calm him when I look in his mouth and see two little white nubs.  And guess what... He's 4 months now and no actual teeth! That's because teeth can move up and down before they actually break through and stop hurting.  Isn't the human body wonderful?

We have tried several teething remedies including wash cloths, teething rings, stuffed animals, gels, the works... but when your baby is so small, you have limited options.  This recipe was sent to me by my sister in law when I needed something to ease the pain, but didn't want to immediately grab the Tylenol.  While waiting for my oils to arrive in the mail, I bought a homeopathic gel at a health food store just to get us by... for $16.  I put it on my little ones red inflamed gums and... wait for it... nothing. I put it on my gums just to see what it would feel like.  Nothing. I didn't feel anything.  Since it's made for babies, maybe I'm not supposed to? Anyway... after about 2 uses and not much improvement, the dog finally got to it and enjoyed it to pieces... left me the cap for proof.  Good use of money there.

Our oils arrived and I mixed them with the coconut oil we had on hand.  I first put it on my gums and there was immediately a cooling sensation.  I put it on the babe's sore gums and he actually smiled!  He loves it! Whenever he is fussy and I can tell his teeth are bothering him, I just dip my (somewhat clean) finger in and gob it on his gums... he likes to chew on my finger a bit and then he's soothed for a while.  The best part is that all of the ingredients are natural so I don't mind putting this on his gums 16 times a day.  It's really a great thing, and really all you need.  Teething pain is more of a constant mild soreness and really no need for medicine, this just soothes it long enough for the baby to take their mind off the pain.  Now there are more desperate times where you may need more than this, but for the regular daily tooth pain, this works great!  I even use it as chapstick when mine is missing (probably eaten by the dog).  Enjoy!



Natural Teething Remedy

Ingredients:
3 Tbs. organic coconut oil (Nutiva is the best!)
8 drops of clove oil
4 drops of peppermint oil (I used way more than 4 drops... probably 8 of each)

Directions:
In a small saucepot or double boiler, melt the coconut oil over low heat.  Add drops of peppermint and clove oil and give it a quick stir.  Transfer to glass jar or container.  I store mine in the fridge to keep cool.  Rub a dab on baby's gums when fussy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment