Thursday, November 6, 2014

French Bread

I have been making my own bread now for about 3+ years, but have been so intimidated to venture outside of the loaf... until today.  This French Bread is so delicious and quite easy!  I made it with a non-napping four month old around to help.  When it came out of the oven, I admit, I had three slices.   It was so good and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside.  This will be so good to make sub sandwiches out of and garlic toast and I can think of a million more things.  I'm so excited I found this recipe!  Enjoy



French Bread
Makes: 1 loaf

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water

Directions:
In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine 1.5 cups flour with the salt, sugar, and yeast. Add water and beat for 3 minutes. Beat in additional flour until a sticky dough forms.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.  

Place in an oiled bowl, covered with a wet dish cloth, in a warm spot fro 45 minutes to an hour until it doubles in size. 

Punch down dough and roll out into a rectangle.  Roll up the short ways and place seam side down on a cookie sheet.  Let rise in a warm spot again for 45 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Use a sharp knife to make 4 diagonal slices on the top of the loaf.  Place loaf in oven for 15-20 minutes, until nice and browned on the top.  Cool on wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment