Friday, March 29, 2013

Black Bean Brownies with an Avocado Icing


I've been on this gluten free dessert kick lately.  I don't know why... maybe because I like a challenge.   I saw a black bean brownie recipe with no gluten, just black beans and had to try it.  I wanted to come up with a fun way to frost these bad boys and what goes great with black beans??? Avocado!! Yeah!  Just need tortilla chips!

These were actually pretty good!  They aren't too sweet and you don't feel nasty after eating one or two... or a whole pan.  Enjoy!!


Black Bean Brownies
Serves: 16

Ingredients:
1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed (or you can soak, cook and rinse 1 1/2 cup dry beans)
3 large organic eggs
3 Tbsp grapeseed oil (I used 2 and 1 Tbsp coconut oil)
3/4 cup organic cane sugar (I used 1/2 and then a few tablespoons of honey)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
Cooking spray for pan (again, I just used coconut oil)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9x9 pan with coconut oil or spray.  Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Avocado Icing

Ingredients:
1 avocado
3-5 Tbsp raw honey (you can adjust to taste)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Directions: 
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until mixed, spread over cooled brownies.  (I did have chunks of green in my icing because I didn't mix it well enough... It's okay, it adds character.  



No comments:

Post a Comment