Saturday, April 6, 2013

Homemade Baked Falafel

I love getting falafel at Mediterranean restaurants because it's so delicious and it's something I would never make at home... until now.  Last time I got falafel at a restaurant, it was just okay... I will not pay $10 for just okay.  So the next time I craved it, I decided to make it myself... and much healthier!  I made this from scratch, baked it, not fried, and it was delicious! I was so surprised at how well these turned out.  I love the skillet idea because they still get very crispy.  I hear that using dried chickpeas and soaking them makes for a crispier falafel than if you were to use canned chickpeas.  I can't wait to make these again. You can also make ahead of time and freeze them, then just pop them in the oven when you're ready to eat!  YUM!








Baked Falafel
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
1 small onion, quartered
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp lemon juice

2 tbs grapeseed oil

Serve with, pita bread, red onion, romaine lettuce, cucumber or other desired veggies.  

Yogurt Sauce:
Mix together 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp dried dill, 1 minced garlic clove and 1 tbs olive oil, 

Directions:
For the falafel, put the beans in a large bowl and cover with water by 3 or 4 inches; they will triple in volume.  Soak for 24 hours, adding water if needed to keep beans submerged.  Drain the beans well (reserve a little soaking water) and transfer to a food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients except the oil; pulse until minced but not pureed, scraping the sides of the bowl.  If necessary add 1 or 2 tablespoons of the soaking water until the mixture comes together.  (Try to keep the addition of water to a minimum, as too much will make the batter fall apart when it hits the oil).  Taste the mixture and adjust for salt, pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice. 

Preheat a large cast iron skillet in a 350 degree oven.  Drizzle grapeseed oil in the bottom of the skillet.  Take a heaping tablespoon of falafel mix and shape into a ball, then flatten into patty.  Place patty into bottom of oiled skillet.  Repeat for all the falafel mix.  Place skillet in oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment