Saturday, April 13, 2013

Burrito Bowls with an Avocado Dressing

I've been making Chipotle burritos a lot lately because they are so delicious, but I've really been getting away from flour tortillas lately because I don't really much care for them.  Organic corn tortillas are so much tastier and wheat free!  PLUS... did you know that just the tortilla in a Chipotle burrito is 290 calories?! This is why I opt for the bowls.  Plus, I like eating with a fork.  

This could very well be my favorite meal that I make.  It's delicious, super easy, fresh and healthy.  I think that I could make these on a weekly or even daily basis.  They are so good and I highly recommend them.






Burrito Bowls with and Avocado Dressing
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 cup organic brown rice
1 cup organic dried black beans
2 cups spring salad mix
1 container of plain Greek yogurt

Salsa:
1 cup organic corn
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
3 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped

Avocado Dressing:
1 ripe avocado
zest and juice of 2 limes
1 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup olive oil (I think you could cut this down and add veggie broth instead as a liquid)

Directions:
Cook the brown rice according to package.

Soak the beans in water overnight.  Rinse and place in a pot with water to reach a couple inches over the beans.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 2 hours, or until beans are soft.  I try to plan ahead and cook the beans ahead of time and just reheat them.  

To make salsa, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.  

To make the dressing, place avocado, lime juice and zest, cilantro and olive oil or broth in a food processor or blender. Pulse until combined.

To assemble bowls, place a scoop of rice on the bottom of the bowl, add beans, add salad mix and salsa.  top with avocado dressing and add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.  We also served these with a toasted corn tortilla. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment