Saturday, April 13, 2013

Swedish Meatballs


Nick and I are not really meat people, but for some reason I have been craving Swedish Meatballs lately.  I have no idea where this is coming from because I think I remember eating them once in my life.  And I don’t even know if they were really Swedish Meatballs. 

Since we don’t eat beef or pork right now, I wanted to find a good recipe that would go well with turkey.  However, because I can’t follow a recipe, I decided to just make one up and it turned out quite well!  I would recommend adding some currant jam or grape jam to the top though, just to sweeten it up.  We didn’t have any jam in the house. Sad face.

I loved this recipe though.  It just reminded me of a nice meal we’d eat at grandma’s.  Good ole northern Minnesotan meat and potatoes AND a can of green beans from grandpa’s garden.  A very feel good meal. 



Swedish Turkey Meatballs
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1 ½ cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 pinch salt
1 lb organic ground turkey
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable broth
¼ cup whole milk (additional)

Directions:
In a 12-inch straight sided saute pan, melt a dab of butter over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sweat until the onions are soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, ¼ cup milk, ground turkey, egg, 1 teaspoon of salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and onions. Mix until combined, but don’t over mix.  By the tablespoon, scoop up meat and form into balls. 

Heat the remaining butter in the saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the meatballs and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon and place in the warmed oven.

Once all of the meatballs are cooked, decrease the heat to low and add the flour to the pan or skillet. Whisk until lightly browned, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the veggie stock and whisk until sauce begins to thicken. Add the whole milk and continue to cook until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. Remove the meatballs from the oven, cover with the gravy and serve.

I served with mashed potatoes and they were delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment