Monday, April 22, 2013

Gluten Free Chickpea Blondies


A few weeks ago, I decided I'd try and make Black Bean Brownies since I kept hearing about them and wanted to see what all the hype was about.  They were really an excellent way for you to get your yummy chocolaty brownie fix, while keeping it gluten free.  

Today, I tried making the Black Bean Brownie's cousin, the Chickpea Blondie.  I must say, in battle the Chickpea Blondie definitely takes the cake... or bar?  It might be that I blended the chick pea batter a lot more than the black bean batter to make it silky and smooth... I also added a little bit of almond coconut milk, to make it creamier so it would blend better. 

All said, these blondies are delicious if you're gluten free or not.  They have a deliciously nutty flavor and man I tell you, organic chocolate chips are da bomb (I just aged myself didn't I?).  I will definitely make these again for all my gluten free friends... and I'll probably make them for my non-gluten free friends and they won't even know the difference so there. 

Enjoy!



Gluten Free Chickpea Blondies
Serves: 16

Ingredients:
Coconut Oil or cooking spray
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained OR 1 cup dried chickpeas soaked and cooked
1/2 cup organic peanut butter, I used chunky
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 organic egg, optional (adding an egg will make the blondie more cake like and fluffy)
1/4 cup organic almond or coconut milk, optional (I added this to make the batter creamier)
1/3 cup organic chocolate chips
Himalayan Sea Salt for sprinkling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray or rub bottom and edges with coconut oil.

In a food processor or blender, add all ingredients except chocolate chips and process until batter is smooth. Transfer to mixing bowl and fold in 1/3 cup organic semi sweet chocolate chips.  

Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle a few chocolate chips over the top.  Grind a dash of sea salt over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges pull away from pan.  Be sure not to overcook, as they will become dry. 

Cool pan on a wire rack for another 20 minutes and slice into 16 squares and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment