Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ginger Coconut Fish Soup

I don’t really order fish at restaurants, unless they really specialize in it.  But one day, I decided to order the Ginger Fish at a local Thai place (in Hawaii).  I am so glad I did, it was so delicious and fresh (because it was Hawaii) and made me love ginger!  Since I didn't have a recipe, I tried to recreate the Thai ginger fish dish that I fell in love with.  It turned out exceptionally well.  Because I lack patience, I didn't let the broth boil out enough before adding the vegetables, which ended in a really soupy dish… and that is why I call this “Fish Soup.” 

If you are in the mood for an awesome gingery coconut fish soup, this is your dish.  It just tastes fresh and healthy.  Also, if you're not a fish person, you should be cause it's super healthy for you, but you can also make this with chicken or tofu instead... or just leave the meat out all together! Enjoy!





Ginger Coconut Fish Soup
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
2 cod fillets, or fish of your choice
1 cup white wine
2 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth (See how I make homemade broth!)
1 can organic coconut cream
1 small onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 inches ginger, minced
½ red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
3 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
2 cups broccoli, chopped into smaller pieces
2 inches of ginger, sliced into matchsticks
1 cup of brown rice
Grapeseed oil of pan
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook brown rice according to package.

Heat a drizzle of grapeseed oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, add minced onion, garlic, and ginger.  Saute for about 3 minutes or until soft.  Add white wine and let cook down for about 2 minutes.  Add broth and bring to a gentle boil.  Add fish fillets and poach until done, about 8 minutes depending on the type and size of fish.  When fish is cooked, remove with tongs and set on a plate and cover. 

Boil out broth until there is only about a cup left.  Add veggies and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes.  Turn heat to low and add coconut milk.  Stir to combine. 

Scoop rice into a soup bowl and top with fish. Pour vegetables and broth over the top.  Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment