Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lamb and Goat Cheese Ravioli

Wow. This Ravioli was amazing. Nick and I agree that it's the best ravioli of the week so far.
It's extremely hard to go from cooking all vegetarian to roasting a lamb. I felt so bad from the moment I picked out the meat from the freezer at the store (yes we bought frozen lamb, it was half the price man!). While standing over the crock pot, shredding the lamb butt, I couldn't get "bah bah black sheep" out of my heat. The version that I sang to my dad in front of the video camera after a performance at pre-school. So cute. So innocent. I"m so glad that it tasted amazing, I would have felt so bad if that little lamb sacrificed its life for crappy ravioli.
Definitely felt like a food critic after eating this one. The lamb and creamy goat cheese just worked perfectly together. And when I added the honey... wow, it was completely amazing. I couldn't believe how awesome everything ended up being. This is going to be a hard ravioli to beat. I've never really truly tasted food that worked together so well.








Lamb and Goat Cheese Ravioli
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
2 lamb shanks, salt and peppered
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stock of celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup red wine
1 tsp dried thyme
salt/pepper
1/2 cup goat cheese
2 tablespoons honey
40 wonton wrappers
Directions:
Place lamb, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, stock, red wine, thyme, salt, and pepper in a crock pot. Turn heat to low and cook for 8 hours. Remove the lamb and shred. Strain out the vegetables and reserve the liquid for sauce.
Place the shredded lamb in a bowl and mix in goat cheese and honey. Place a tablespoon of mixture in the middle of a wonton wrapper and top with another. Seal with fork. (make sure to rub water along the edges of the ravioli to help seal.)
Pour the reserved liquid into a saute pan and let simmer on medium high for about 25 minutes.
Place the ravioli into a pot of gently boiling water for about 2 minutes. Remove and plate. Pour some of the remaining liquid over top and drizzle with honey.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment