Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tofu Sandwiches


I've been practicing cooking with Tofu lately. It's kind of complicated to cook when you have no idea what you're doing. So that's why I'm practicing. It can taste really good, but I recommend eating it in moderation cause too much tofu is never a good thing. I really have no idea if that's true, but I just think of it as you wouldn't eat steak for every dinner, so why eat tofu for every dinner? Whatever... I dunno. Anyway, I think I've accomplished a lot in the land of tofu.


Nick and I used to get an order of bbq boneless wings every night one of us would work at Applebee's. I remember him coming home at 2 in the morning from a shift with a container of wings. I would immediately pop up and eat my half, then go back to sleep.

Oh memories of the horrible things we used to eat. I made my own rendition of bbq boneless wings... only they are called bbq tofu sticks. They are pretty amazing, not 1800 calories like the wings at Applebees, and pretty easy. Not something that I'd eat all the time, cause I feel like anything tasting that good can't be good for you, but still a nice little treat while watching football or something.





I also made a buffalo tofu sandwich, and a CLT sandwich (cucumber, lettuce, tofu). They were all nice vegetarian sandwiches. You can basically do anything with it, once you know how to cook it. So...

Tofu Sticks or Sandwich
Ingredients:
1 package of tofu
1/2 cup flour
1 egg white
1 tbsp sauce (bbq, buffalo, etc)
olive oil

Directions:

Slice the tofu into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and pat with paper towel to release some liquid.
Place on baking sheet with rack and put in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Take out and cool (I put in the freezer cause I'm impatient).

Slice into strips if desired.
Pour a tsp. of sauce in egg white and mix. Dip tofu into egg mixture and then flour (I also like to put some spices in my flour, chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc.).

Lightly fry tofu sticks in a bit of olive oil until crispy and put back in the oven for 5 more minutes. Can dip in favorite dressing or put on a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, whatever!! yumsy!



My favorites:

BBQ Tofu Sticks (bbq sauce in egg, ranch dressing)
Buffalo Tofu Sandwich (Hot sauce in the egg, cayenne in the flour, top with lettuce, tomato, and blue cheese dressing)
Cucumber, Lettuce, Tofu Sandwich (curry powder in the flour)

No comments:

Post a Comment