Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thai Fish Tacos


I've been watching a lot of Gordon Ramsey shows lately and he's strict about tasting your food throughout the cooking process to make sure everything tastes right. So, I was cooking my sauce for this dish and tasted it at the end (after following the directions to a T... wait... I don't follow directions...), when I tasted it, I thought it was pretty gross and felt super bad cause I didn't know how to fix it. I guess I was just expecting a different flavor than what it was. Anyway, I didn't do anything about it, just warned Nick that it might be gross and we might be eating mac and cheese tonight.

So here I am feeling all disappointed and whining cause it's gonna be gross. Then I put it all together and tried it and it was pretty amazing!! Everything came together in the end and I was pleased. I do like fish tacos! Nick rated them an 8. I think I would have grilled the fish next time, but we were lazy and didn't feel like going downstairs to grill (oh to live in a house with a grill on our back patio... someday).

Enjoy!

Thai Fish Tacos
Ingredients:
Fish
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon red chile paste
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 pounds skinless mahi mahi
Thai Slaw
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon red chile past
e Maple syrup (optional)
Red chile flakes (optional)
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 carrots, grated
Flour tortillas
Avocado slices
Directions:

For the fish, whisk together coconut milk, lime juice, chile paste, honey, garlic and 1/4 cup water to make a marinade. Arrange fish in a wide, shallow dish, pour marinade over the top and turn to coat all over. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. 

Meanwhile, for the slaw, put coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, fish sauce, and chile paste into a small pot over medium low heat. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes to make a dressing. Taste and add a bit of maple syrup if more sweetness is desired and red pepper flakes if more spice is needed. Set dressing aside. 

Put cabbage, onions, cilantro and carrots into a large bowl with half of the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Set slaw aside. 

Preheat oiled grill to medium heat. Drain fish, discarding marinade, and cook on grill until it flakes easily with a fork and is opaque, 5 to 7 minutes per side. (To warm tortillas while grilling fish, wrap tortilla stack in aluminum foil and place on grill grate over low heat, turning once while fish cooks.) Transfer fish to a cutting board and roughly chop. Serve fish in warm tortillas, topped with reserved slaw and avocado slices, and drizzled with remaining dressing, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment